Tuesday, November 4, 2014

A Semester of Growth

     Now that the semester is a little over half-way completed, I am beginning to see my writing techniques develop and I am emerging into a better writer. In English 110 here at UNE, we are taught how to respond to articles and stories in bulk that have maybe one thing in common. Recently we have been told to read up to three sources and connect them all in essays. I am happy to say that I have done so successfully, providing good thesis's backed by strong paragraphs. I have received grades that I am very proud of and I only look to have those grades increase in the future. I believe that my extensive research and choice of words are what makes my essays better than most. I put a lot of concrete evidence into my essays, leaving the reader with no doubt. My essays also flow well, going from one point to another with a smooth transition. The areas where I struggle the most is connecting the authors mentioned in my essays. It seems that I do a good job of discussing them individually and in their own paragraphs, rather than using both to make one point at a time and connecting the two. Another aspect in writing that I do not do very well in is using a lot of quotations. I am not used to using more than five quotes an essay, so using one per paragraph seems somewhat excessive to me; something that I am not  used to and something that I overlook before I pass in my paper. 

     In order to produce a well thought out paper I must be in complete silence with no distractions. I will read the prompt numerous times, brainstorming what take I'm going to have on the issue and what ideas I can produce that will back it up. I highlight the main points that I like in the readings that we are told to discuss, maybe to use for quotes in my own paper. I then like to think of a good hook, something that would capture me if I were to be the reader of my essay, because who likes a boring essay? Not me! I then form my thesis, which usually is not very good the first time and is something that I reconstruct multiple times as I realize what it is that I actually want to talk about in the paper. The body paragraphs are usually the easiest parts for me. I pick one main point for each paragraph, taking quotes from the readings, explaining them, forming transition sentences, etc. I do my best to explain my main points the best I can as well as making them flow into each other; the less awkward-sounding the better. 

     I do not exactly have any concerns regarding my own writing, as I believe that I am a somewhat strong writer. I enjoy this class and how we focus on worldly issues rather than grammar and spelling- it makes things much more interesting and enjoyable. One thing that I wish was different about this class is that it was only 50 minutes rather than an hour and 20 minutes. The extra hour of class time a week makes me kind of resent the class. Other than those last thirty minutes on Tuesday and Thursday, I enjoy the class and seem to be learning a lot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment